Sequence for Building Concrete Dome – Grass Valley, Ca
In 2012 we constructed a 1200 sf monolithic dome home
Foundation through Slab
The Dome shell “form” is visible from the exterior. This is suitable for weatherproofing, eliminating the need for a finished roof. It can also have stucco applied.
The process was:
- Set up form and secure to foundation ring
- Install air lock and fan. The fan was run 24/7 for the 10 days it took to complete dome.
- Build window and door frames out. This was done by framing and bracing the window and door openings with PT 2×8′
- Install roof penetrations (plumbing vents, etc.)
- Spray 4″ of closed cell urethane insulation
- Install rebar cage. In this case the rebar was #4 at 12″ OC.
- Spray 4″ of shotcrete. We did this over 4 days about an inch at a time
Ten days and ready to install windows and doors. Cost was approximately 60,000 for the 36′ diameter shell.
The Completed Dome